Shanghai Open University (SOU) as approved by Chinese Ministry of Education is a higher education institute which is providing distance open education to adults with support of modern information and communication technologies. It has provided degree education for 350,000 graduates since its establishment in 1960.
In order to promote cooperation between open universities through academic exchange and to enhance the quality of teaching and research in the field of open and distance learning, SOU has successfully conducted the International Visiting Scholar Program since 2013, participated by the member universities and institutes of African Council for Distance Education (ACDE), Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), as well as other universities and institutes in open and distance education all over the world.
For 2016 SOU is offering a 2-week Visiting Scholar Program in May 2016.
SOU is offering 10 fellowships in May 2016.
Duration of the Program
2 weeks from May.16th to May. 27th.
Deadline for application: March 25th, 2016
Notification of acceptance: March. 31th, 2016
Requirements for Candidates
The candidates for the program
- Must be a teaching staff or researcher on open distance education.
- Must possess a master or above degree and hold the position as an instructor or above in home institutions.
- Must have fluent written and oral English ability (the working language for all official activities is English).
- Besides the above requirements, the applicants who have position in administrative management will be given priority in consideration.
Required Materials for Application (Written in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (candidates should have advanced English skills and hold a master degree or above)
- A research proposal of the fellowship program: it could be a study on practices of SOU or a comparative study between SOU and their home institutions, topics may include but are not restricted to：
- Quality assurance of open education
- Teachers training of open education
- Students support services
- Recognition of prior learning and credit bank system
- Open educational resources
- Vocational training and adult education
- Community education
- Construction of a lifelong learning system in a learning society
- Comparative study on open education
- Team teaching model on open and distance education
- Practice-based teaching model on open education
- Instructional design & development in Open and Distance Learning
- A letter of recommendation from the head of home institutions (President, Rector, Chancellor or Vice-chancellor)
- A recent photo of the applicant.
SOU will provide the following for the fellowship:
- Hotel accommodation
- Living expense allowance (250 RMB per day)
- Office with telephone and internet access
Home institutions of the selected fellows will cover：
- A round-trip air ticket between their home country and Shanghai, China
Required Health Insurance
All fellows are required to show proof of health insurance for the entire length of their stay that meets specified minimum levels of coverage (Please send us the copy via email or by person at arrival). Fellows who bring health insurance from their home country must bring a copy of the complete policy in English. If these conditions are not met, they must purchase insurance in China.
Fellows’ Activities and Responsibilities
- Visiting and meeting with relevant departments and facilities（Shanghai Education Resources Center, the university library, Department of Research and Development, Information & Network Management Center, Teaching Affairs Office, Student Affairs Office, SOU branch schools, etc.）.
- Conducting their proposed research.
- Giving a presentation based on their research conducted during their stay at SOU and the introduction of their own institutions.
- Submitting a final report (approx. 3000 words) on the outcome of the research to SOU at the end of the program. We will appreciate it if you submit your reports within the given time.
- The Fellow will also be required to complete a feedback form on the quality of the Fellowship program granted.
- The nominated candidates should keep regular contact with SOU via emails, telephones or other means to inform the process of applying VISA and purchasing tickets. In order to guarantee the smooth processing of the program, for those who haven’t started VISA or tickets two weeks before the program starts, SOU preserves the rights to cancel the fellowship.
Ms. Dorothy Tang
Email: email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +86 21 2565 3412
Fax: +86 21 25653267
Mobile: +86 13671627400
Mail Address: The Institute of International Exchange of SOU
Room 402, Building No.1
288 Guoshun Road
The website of Shanghai Open University: http://global.sou.edu.cn/
The website of Institute of International Exchange of SOU: http://iie.sou.edu.cn
Shanghai Open University