Shanghai Open University is pleased to announce that applications for its 2018 International Visiting Scholar Program are now being accepted.
Shanghai Open University (SOU) as approved by Chinese Ministry of Education is a higher education institute which is providing distance open education to adults with support of modern information and communication technologies. We have provided degree education for 350,000 graduates since our establishment in 1960 along with numerous training certificate programs in collaboration with Shanghai’s public and private sectors as a key contribution towards Shanghai’s goal of developing as a Learning Society.
In order to promote global cooperation between universities, other institutions and interested scholars through academic exchange and to enhance the quality of teaching and research in the field of open and distance learning, SOU has successfully conducted the International Visiting Scholar Program each Spring and Autumn since 2013, with participation by the member universities and institutes of African Council for Distance Education (ACDE), Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), as well as other universities and institutes that currently provide or are developing open and distance education all over the world.
SOU is offering up to 15 fellowships for the 2018 International Visiting Scholar Program. We have found that offering the program on this scale promotes excellent collaboration and exchange among the visiting scholars and their SOU colleagues, not only for the duration of the on-site program, but for years to follow. Our International Visiting Scholar program is unique in that we use the same ‘blended model’ as we do in our courses to combine both face-to-face and mobile and internet distance education to create global communities of scholarship for our Visiting Scholars.
Requirements for Candidates
The candidates for the program
SOU will provide the following for the fellowship:
How to Apply?
Please refer Please refer to the website of the International Institute of Exchange of Shanghai Open University: http://iie.sou.edu.cn/en/immersionhub/visiting-scholar-program/ to complete the online application.
We very much look forward to hearing from you and would also appreciate your sharing this invitation with others in your professional networks who might be interested in applying. Everyone will be assured a warm welcome in Shanghai and the SOU!
Duration of the Program
Onsite in Shanghai: 2 weeks from June 4th to June 15th. SOU also maintains Wechat social network groups for Visiting Scholars to foster and maintain professional collaboration and support before, during and after the onsite program.
Required Materials for Application (Written in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (candidates should have advanced English skills and hold a M.A degree or above)
- A research proposal of the fellowship program: it could be a study on practices of SOU or a comparative study between SOU and their home institutions, proposal for future collaboration, etc. Topics may include but are not restricted to：
- Quality assurance of open and distance learning(ODL)
- Teachers professional development of open and distance learning
- Research on the design of personalized service for ODL
- Research on open learning analytics
- Research on team teaching in ODL
- Specialty development & course development in ODL
- Specialty includes: Pre-education, Nursing for The Elderly, Public Safety & Emergency Management, Artistic Design, International Chinese Education & Chinese Culture
※Shanghai Open University will give priority to the topics related to the research fields and on-going projects of SOU faculty or collaborative research in order to promote international exchanges and collaboration.
- A professional letter of recommendation from the president/chancellor of the home institution.
- A recent photo of the applicant.
Required Health Insurance
All fellows are required to show proof of health insurance for the entire length of their stay that meets specified minimum levels of coverage (Please send us the copy via email or by person at arrival). Fellows who bring health insurance from their home country must bring a copy of the complete policy in English. If these conditions are not met, they must purchase insurance in China.
Fellows’ Activities and Responsibilities
- Visiting and meeting with relevant departments and facilities（Shanghai Education Resources Center, the university library, Department of Research and Development, Information & Network Management Center, Teaching Affairs Office, Student Affairs Office, SOU branch schools, etc.）.
- Conducting their proposed research.
- Giving a presentation based on their research conducted during their stay at SOU and the introduction of their own institutions.
- Submitting a final report (Min. 3000 words) on the outcome of the research to SOU within 30 days at the conclusion of the program.
- The Fellow will also be required to complete a feedback form on the quality of the Fellowship program.
- The nominated candidates should keep regular electronic contact with the SOU to inform the process of applying for visas and making travel plans.
The SOU reserves the right to cancel any fellowship offer if full visa and travel plans have not been successfully completed and the SOU so notified at least two weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Trackback from your site.