Have you been dreaming about coming to study in China? Now’s the time! Immersion Hub Program of Shanghai Open University (SOU) is designed for international students of all ages who want to develop their basic communication skills in Mandarin Chinese while exploring the excitement and wonder of Shanghai and gaining valuable insights into Chinese culture.
Shanghai, the proud host of the 2010 World Expo, is a modern, dynamic and amazing city. It features many sites of interest to students in the program: beyond the Bund and Oriental Pearl Tower cityscapes there are a huge range of museums, colonial architecture, theatres, gardens, parks and shopping areas.
Study in China, choose Shanghai Open University!
You will be in an intense two-week immersion program that will immerse you in the cultural vibe of Shanghai, one of the most dynamic cities in China.
Prior to your arrival in Shanghai, you will have an opportunity to use our online system to get to know our staff, your personal mentor, and your fellow international students so that you will feel fully comfortable with the adventure that awaits you in Shanghai.
Once you arrive in Shanghai, your learning will continue in small face-to-face classes. Your Chinese language and culture proficiency will soar as you are able to have supportive interactions with professional and experienced teachers as well as a committed and interesting small group of like-minded international students from all over the world, making for a truly multicultural environment.
Language learning and culture go hand-in-hand, and during your stay in Shanghai, we will make sure you are safely immersed into the vivid culture of the city and surrounding area through an exciting mix of organized activities and events as well as some time to explore your personal interests on your own or with new friends you will undoubtedly make during your stay.
To facilitate those friendships, students have many opportunities to get to know their peers better by an array of fun team-building activities including a talent show, cooking session, dinner party, and other impromptu events your group may wish to set up. Previous students have remarked on how these fun events have not only made their stay in Shanghai very enjoyable, they have also made valuable friendships and international contacts for their academic and personal networks as well.
Schedule and Application Period
- Duration of 2017 Summer Immersion Hub:
2 weeks (11 June – 23 June, 2017).
- Application deadline for Scholarship:
- Scholarship announcement to students through email:
1 April – 7 May
Our curriculum consists of 4 modules of learning:
- Mandarin Chinese language
- Chinese culture
- Hands-on application experiences
- Going out immersion experiences
Cost of the Program and Method of Payment for Students Who Did Not Receive Scholarships
(1) Program Fee: 4000 Yuan/ $600/ € 540.
The program fee can be paid in Chinese Yuan, US Dollar or Euro. It covers tuition fee, learning materials, program events, inner city tours and transportation, t-shirts and a flash drive, light refreshments and lunch.
(2) Accommodation Cost:
If you need us to arrange accommodation at the hotel for you, the costs are as follows:
One queen bed Room: 360 Yuan/person/day (breakfast included)
Two single beds Room: 180 Yuan/person/day, shared with a roommate (breakfast included)
(3) Other Expenses to Budget for:
Other expenses vary greatly as per individual needs, but will include international airfare, travel insurance, Chinese visa costs, dinner, entertainment, personal expenses in China, etc.
(4) Program and Accommodation Fees will be paid at registration after your arrival in China.
We provide two room types for hotel accommodation during the program: One queen bed room and two single beds room.
Eligibility of Scholarship and Application Method
(1) Our program is open to all non-Chinese citizens, aged 16 and above.
SOU will offer 30 scholarships covering insurance, program fees and accommodation fees in 2017.
(2) Application Materials and Method:
For all applicants,
- Fill in the Application Form http://iie.sou.edu.cn/en/immersionhub/application/2017-student-program
- Prepare a scanned page of passport.
If you have failed in the online application, please contact us via email: email@example.com.
What happens after completing the application form?
(1) Once you’ve submitted the application form and scanned passport through email, we will review your application. Then you just need to wait to find out if you receive the scholarship. We’ll let you know between 1 April – 7 May.
(2) Once accepted, we will issue you an “Acceptance Letter” and a “Visa Application for Study in China” (Form JW202) and send through email.
(3) You must apply to your local People’s Republic of China Embassy or Consulate for a visa.
(4) After your visa has been issued, be sure to bring all the above materials with you as they are required when applying for a residence permit after your arrival in China.
After your arrival in Shanghai
The student will bring the Acceptance Letter, Form JW202 and passport to register with SOU at the required time. Meanwhile, the student is required to pay the program and accommodation fees. If the applicant cannot register as required because of some problems, she/he has to inform the Institute of International Exchange in advance. Those who are late without valid reasons will be disqualified from enrollment.
International students from over 27 countries with varied educational and professional backgrounds have joined the program in the past 3 years. Why not make this year your time to experience the joy and wonders of Shanghai? Immersion Hub Program of SOU warmly welcomes you! You’ll be in safe and caring hands, and when you return home, it will be with a vast array of new language and cultural skills and knowledge as well as lasting memories and friendships. Who knows? It could be a life-changing experience at just the right time for you! We so look forward to hearing from you and will gladly answer all your questions.
Institute of International Exchange
Shanghai Open University
Room 402, No.1 Building,
288 Guoshun Road, Shanghai 200433, P. R. China
Tel: 86-21-25653006；86-21-25653356； Fax: 86-21-25653267
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Web Site: http://iie.sou.edu.cn
- International students are strongly recommended to purchase travel insurance that covers their stay abroad before entering China.
- This program brochure will be printed in both English and Chinese- in case of discrepancy between the Chinese language original text and the English language translation, the Chinese text will prevail.
- The right of final interpretation is reserved to the Shanghai Open University (SOU).