Shanghai Open University is pleased to announce that applications for its 2017 International Visiting Scholar Program (Autumn Session) are now being accepted.
Shanghai Open University (SOU) as approved by Chinese Ministry of Education is a higher education institute which is providing distance open education to adults with support of modern information and communication technologies. We have provided degree education for 350,000 graduates since our establishment in 1960 along with numerous training certificate programs in collaboration with Shanghai’s public and private sectors as a key contribution towards Shanghai’s goal of developing as a Learning Society.
2017 International Visiting Scholar Program (Autumn Session)
In order to promote global cooperation between universities, other institutions and interested scholars through academic exchange and to enhance the quality of teaching and research in the field of open and distance learning, SOU has successfully conducted the International Visiting Scholar Program each Spring and Autumn since 2013, with participation by the member universities and institutes of African Council for Distance Education (ACDE), Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU), as well as other universities and institutes that currently provide or are developing open and distance education all over the world.
SOU is offering up to 10 fellowships for the autumn 2017 International Visiting Scholar Program. We have found that offering the program on this scale promotes excellent collaboration and exchange among the visiting scholars and their SOU colleagues, not only for the duration of the on-site program, but for years to follow. Our International Visiting Scholar program is unique in that we use the same ‘blended model’ as we do in our courses to combine both face-to-face and mobile and internet distance education to create global communities of scholarship for our Visiting Scholars.
Duration of the Program
Onsite in Shanghai: 2 weeks from Nov. 13th to Nov. 24th. SOU also maintains WhatsApp social network groups for Visiting Scholars to foster and maintain professional collaboration and support before, during and after the onsite program.
Deadline for application: Sept. 4th, 2017
Notification of acceptance: Sept. 22th, 2017
Requirements for Candidates
The candidates for the program
- Must have relevant teaching and/or research experience in open & distance learning.
- Must possess a post-graduate degree and have held the position as an instructor or above in home institutions.
- Must have fluent written and oral English ability (the working language for all official activities is English).
- Besides the above requirements, applicants who have administrative management experience will be given priority in consideration.
Required Materials for Application (Written in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (candidates should have advanced English skills and hold a M.A degree or above)
- A research proposal of the fellowship program (Maximum 1,000 words): it could be a study on practices of SOU or a comparative study between SOU and their home institutions, proposal for future collaboration, etc. Topics may include but are not restricted to：
- Quality assurance of open and distance learning
- Teachers training of open and distance learning
- Students support services
- Recognition of prior learning and credit bank system
- Open educational resources
- Vocational training and adult education
- Community education
- Construction of a lifelong learning system in a learning society
- Comparative study on open education
- Team teaching model on open and distance education
- Practice-based teaching model on open education
- Instructional design & development in Open and Distance Learning
- Leadership & Innovation for the future in Open and Distance Learning
※Shanghai Open University will give priority to the topics related to the research fields and on-going projects of SOU faculty in order to promote international research.
- A professional letter of recommendation (which must be from the relevant official at the home institution)
- A recent photo of the applicant.
SOU will provide the following for the fellowship:
- Hotel accommodation
- Living expense allowance (250 RMB per day)
- Workspace with wifi telephone and internet access
Visiting Scholars or their Home institutions will be expected to cover：
- A round-trip air ticket between their home country and Shanghai, China
- Cost of tickets for all optional city tours arranged during the program
Required Health Insurance
All fellows are required to show proof of health insurance for the entire length of their stay that meets specified minimum levels of coverage (Please send us the copy via email or by person at arrival). Fellows who bring health insurance from their home country must bring a copy of the complete policy in English. If these conditions are not met, they must purchase insurance in China.
Fellows’ Activities and Responsibilities
- Visiting and meeting with relevant departments and facilities（Shanghai Education Resources Center, the university library, Department of Research and Development, Information & Network Management Center, Teaching Affairs Office, Student Affairs Office, SOU branch schools, etc.）.
- Conducting their proposed research.
- Giving a presentation based on their research conducted during their stay at SOU and the introduction of their own institutions.
- Submitting a final report (Min. 3000 words) on the outcome of the research to SOU within 30 days at the conclusion of the program.
- The Fellow will also be required to complete a feedback form on the quality of the Fellowship program.
- The nominated candidates should keep regular electronic contact with the SOU to inform the process of applying for visas and making travel plans.
The SOU reserves the right to cancel any fellowship offer if full visa and travel plans have not been successfully completed and the SOU so notified at least two weeks prior to the start date of the program.
How to Apply?
We very much look forward to hearing from you and would also appreciate your sharing this invitation with others in your professional networks who might be interested in applying. Everyone will be assured a warm welcome in Shanghai and the SOU!
Ms. Dorothy Tang
Email: email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +86 21 2565 3412
Fax: +86 21 25653267
Mobile: +86 13671627400
Mail Address: The Institute of International Exchange of SOU
Room 402, Building No.1
288 Guoshun Road
Shanghai China, 200433
The website of Shanghai Open University: http://global.sou.edu.cn/
The website of Institute of International Exchange of SOU: http://iie.sou.edu.cn