Under the supervision of Shanghai Municipal Government, Shanghai Open University (SOU) is a new higher education institute different from conventional universities in China, which is providing distance open education to adults with support of modern information and communication technologies. As approved by Chinese Ministry of Education, it has been officially renamed on the basis of Shanghai TV University (STVU) since 2012. The former Shanghai TV University had provided degree education for 350,000 graduates since its establishment in 1960.
SOU is offering a 2-week Visiting Scholar Program to the member universities and institutes of African Council for Distance Education, Asian Association of Open Universities, as well as other universities and institutes in open and distance education all over the world in May 2015. The purpose of the program is to promote cooperation between open universities through academic exchange and to enhance the quality of teaching and research in the field of open and distance learning.
SOU is offering 10 fellowships in May 2015.
Duration of the Program
2 weeks from May 18th to May 29th.
Deadline for application: April 7th, 2015
Notification of acceptance: April 17th, 2015
Requirements for Candidates
The candidates for the program
- Must be a teaching staff or researcher on open distance education.
- Must possess a master or above degree, and hold the position as an instructor or above in home institutions.
- Must have fluent written and oral English ability (the working language for all official activities is English).
Required Materials for Application (Written in English)
- Curriculum Vitae (candidates should have advanced English skills and hold a master degree or above)
- A research proposal of the fellowship program: it could be a study on practices of SOU or a comparative study between SOU and their home institutions, topics may include but are not restricted to：
- Quality assurance of open education
- Teachers training of open education
- Students support services
- Recognition of prior learning and credit bank system
- Open educational resources
- Vocational training
- Community education
- Construction of a lifelong learning system in a learning society
- Comparative study on open education
- Team teaching model on open education
- Practice-based teaching model on open educaiton
- A letter of recommendation from the head of home institutions (President, Rector, Chancellor or Vice-chancellor)
- A life photo of the applicant.
SOU will provide the following for the fellowship:
- Hotel accommodation
- Living expense allowance (250 RMB per day)
- Office with telephone and internet access
Home institutions of the selected fellows will cover：
- A round-trip air ticket between their home country and Shanghai, China
Required Health Insurance
All fellows are required to show proof of health insurance for the entire length of their stay that meets specified minimum levels of coverage. Fellows who bring health insurance from their home country must bring a copy of the complete policy in English. If these conditions are not met, they must purchase insurance in China.
Fellows’ Activities and Responsibilities
- Visiting and meeting with relevant departments and facilities（Shanghai Education Resources Center, the university library, Department of Research and Development, Information & Network Management Center, Teaching Affairs Office, Student Affairs Office, SOU branch schools, etc.）.
- Conducting their proposed research.
- Giving a presentation based on their research conducted during their stay at SOU and the introduction of their own institutions.
- Submitting a final report (approx. 3000 words) on the outcome of the research to SOU at the end of the program.
If you would like further advice and submit documents, please contact Ms. Dorothy Tang at the Institute of International Exchange of SOU on email: email@example.com, telephone: +86 21 2565 3412, or Fax: +86 21 25653267.
Mail Address: Room 402, Building No.1, 288 Guoshun Road，Shanghai, China, 200433